Saturday, May 12, 2012

Walnut and honey biscotti


This is my very first recipe. And with that I mean that this is the first recipe thata I have ever created, so I'm feeling quite overexcited all over it ^o^ I've looked it up in the internet to be sure that there's no oder recipe similar to mine and therefore I can proudly state that this is my original creation. Ok, there's people who do that nearly everyday but, as it's the first time that instead of following a given recipe step by step I've adventured through an unknow path, I'm feeling great about it.

It all started when I saw dailydelicious' post about nutty biscotti and I thought: "Hey! I've got some walnuts in the kitchen! I could make some walnut biscotti". My parents are eating 3-4 walnut on daily basis because they've been told that the walnuts are good to prevent heart diseases, thus in my mind I was going to make some "healthy" biscuits ;-) As the walnuts pair wonderfully with honey, I decided to incorporate some to the recipe. Therefore, I had to take out some sugar, adjust the amount of flour, adjust the baking time... After my second attemp I got them right and then I looked again to the original recipe and said: "Hell! What I did has nothing to do with this!... OMG!".

So...here it comes!:

Ingredients:

250g all-purpose flour
20g corn flour
100g walnuts
70g white sugar
50ml honey
1 egg
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 dash of salt

Method:

  1. Preheat oven to 170ºC.
  2. Toats the walnuts in the oven for 10 minutes. Take them out and let them cool but don't switch .
  3. Mix together the honey and the sugar. Then add the egg and beat until well combined.
  4. In another bowl, mix the flours, the salt and the baking powder. Add it to the wet ingredients and mix through until there are no lumps.
  5. Knead the walnuts into the dough. At this point you'll need to use your hands to do the kneading because the dough is very dense.
  6. Divide the dough in two and roll them until each part is about 1ch high and 5cm wide. Put them in the baking tray.
  7. Bake them for 20 minutes at 170ºC.
  8. Take them out of the oven and lower the temperature to 150ºC. Slice the dough into 1cm wide slices.
  9. Bake the biscotti for 15 minutes. Take them out from the oven and let them cool completely in the tray before transfering them to a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment